The Palace Theatre
and Cinema Banbury.
Next came the Palace Theatre Company. It was bought in 1923 by the Lester
brothers, Strouds and James Friswell, from J.H. Blinkhorn and Norman
Blinkhorn, who had run a cinema there for many years. The new owners
had the old cinema pulled down and built a grand new theatre in its
place. They used the best of everything, furnishing it luxuriously.
The ceilings and walls were tastefully painted and had attractive light
fittings which dimmed to a pleasant glow during performances. There
was lush carpeting in the foyer, up the stairs and in the auditorium.
Brass jardinieres with palms stood in the foyer and on the stairs. It
was really much more comfortable than most of the patron's homes.